Sunday, January 2, 2011

My own private goodies

Every time I visit my family home in Spain I follow the same pattern: I go to one of the many sweets kiosks in the barrio and buy a bag full of my favorite Spanish goodies, the ones I used to eat when I was a kid, back in the 70's. They may be not the most popular if you ask other people in my generation, but here they are, my Top 6.

Spanish Goodies

Chocolatinas: chocolate bars from Nestlé, filled with a sticky fruit creme with flavors like strawberry, orange or pineapple. The only chocolate bars I knew before Mars, KitKat and Co. made their appearence.
Conguitos: delicious chocolate-covered peanuts, with milk or white chocolate. The logo of these sweets has undergone a slight change after some protests regarding its political correctness. You can read some interesting thoughts about it in this article.
Nubes: meaning "clouds" is just the Spanish name for marshmallows.
Moras: blackberry jellies.
Caramelos de nata: "cream candies", white and very sticky candies that are hard to get off the teeth once you bite them. I used to get them free from the bakery woman when my grandma sent me to get bread. The bakery closed sometime ago but I cannot eat them without remembering that bakery woman.
Corazones: heart jellies peach-flavored.

The reason about eating these goodies now is of course more the memory they recall than the taste they have (actually, some of them have a quite artificial taste for our current liking), but they just belong to our cultural references.

As a curiosity, while reading some stuff for this post I came across a nice shop with lots and lots of sugar goodies from all around the world.

Can you find your Top 6 too?

3 comments:

  1. hi thanks for dropping by my blog! am totally loving yours and looking forward to reading thru your archives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sé inglés pero más o menos he entendido. Huumm!,menos mal que jJuan y Lucía me hacen rememorar esos tiempos. Pero los caramelos de nata hace años que no entran en mi body.

    ReplyDelete